Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dear Weslie.

(A letter I wanted to write to a fellow blogger, Weslie about *my* view on her and her blog. If you have never read it, it is one that you don't want to miss. Love Chugs Blog)

Dear Weslie,

I am not sure why but after reading your latest blog post I had random thoughts that kept creeping into my mind and I had the feeling that I should share my thoughts with you. I was going to write this in your comments, but I am not good at keeping things short and as I thought about it, there is an underlying message that I want to share this with my readers.



I have been following your blog for a little over a year. 

There are 3 distinct things that have actually changed my life and that I live by.

#1- Corn Starch and Cocoa Powder. Holy crap. (seriously, life changer)

#2- At night I recite with my boys a phrase that brought tears to my eyes when I read it. I changed it to fit our family but it is still the same with the same meaning and power.  

"Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you. Heavenly Father and Jesus love you. And who else loves you?" 

"ME!"

#3- Meditation. I have always wanted to meditate but wasnt exactly sure how to start. Something about your post (when asked about meditating) made me realize how simple it could be. So I started, I tried a few different ways and found one that works for me. It has become a time and a place that I cherish. I am a truly better person because of it. 

Weslie, I agree that the numbers (when it comes to popularity) don't matter. And I can totally understand the emotions that would  come with the yin and yang of your friends are families reaction to your blogs success. I also agree that you don't want to teach your girls to strive for irrelevant numbers and unimportant expectations that we foolishly put on ourselves.  But I don't think any of these things need to concern you, and here is why...

You have been given a gift and a platform. I truly believe that when you are given these two things there is something behind it. Maybe even a divine reason for it. 

It isn't about being "popular" ...

It is about touching people's lives. 

It is about being a force of good in this world.

Our world is quickly losing it's connection with one another and more importantly we are losing our connection with ourselves and with our higher power. We have more distractions, more screens, more competition, more negativity, more bully's, more confusion, more multi-tasking, more things to do/things to have and more sadness than ever before. We are so disconnected with ourselves that we literally try and hide from our own feelings. I actually read an interesting study recently saying that people are now reaching for their smart phones every time they start to feel an emotion that they don't want to feel. 

Your blog teaches people the importance of being real, having feelings, having connections with others, with oneself and with a higher power. It inspires and cultivates deeper thinking about life and meaning. But is still fun, relevant and makes you feel like you are talking to a close girlfriend. 

I truly believe that we are ALL called by a higher power to love, help, teach and serve. You are doing that for your readers. People are thirsty for what you have to offer and you are kindly giving their dry throats a drink. 

By believing that you have been blessed with a special gift and that you have been called to lead/teach/love; the numbers of readers and opinions of those around you won't matter. And more importantly, you will realize that you are teaching your girls the most important life lesson of all. The IMPORTANCE of doing good in the world. And that you can do good just by being yourself.

If ever you are ready to be done with the blogging world, by all means, be done. But don't ever stop sharing yourself and your light with the world. We need people like you.

I hope you don't mind me writing this. I appreciate your blog and the things that you have taught me.

Thanks, 

Megan 

“Each of us was born to fulfill a divine purpose. As we open our hearts and minds to a new way of being, the purpose of our lives unfolds organically.”  
                                 -Iyanla Vanzant


www.sweetsugarandbutter.blogspot.com





6 comments:

  1. Megan,

    Where to start?!?! First of thank you from the bottom of my heart for this letter!

    And secondly, this is truthfully what I needed to hear! My family and friends can say this to me all the time, but coming from a stranger (not anymore ☺️) it meant so much. You really hit all the key points to why I love doing this---and I feel like you get me! It's so refreshing and I appreciate it and take it all to heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad! I was hoping you wouldn't be like "mind your own business lady" 😉 but for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about it and the more I thought about it the bigger it became in my mind and I just had to share.

      Delete
  2. Amen sister!! I am feeling everything you just typed out. In terms of Weslie and just in terms of life in general. Why is everything such a competition and when did this happen? I'm especially frustrated with the competition between women. I love that you took the time to support another woman. to lift her up and let her know that her voice, who she is and what she writes is important. It's important to her and you and me. She is touching lives and so are you. I love everything about this. xoxo you're an amazing representation of a true woman and i thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I found Weslie's blog almost a year ago also. It changed my perception on life not to mention her girls are ao freaking adorable. She is definitely a good inspiration for the girls following her. It even made me start my own blog. So glad someone else could express how I was feeling haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful letter to an even more wonderful woman! Weslie and her blog are thought provoking, genuine, heart felt. I have missed her posts, but I know she is doing great things in the world by raising two amazing little humans and constantly redefining the standards of what it is to be a wife, mom, writer, friend, woman. Thank you for making such a personal letter public and sharing with your readers what it is that drives us bloggers forward. It is women like you, Weslie, the ones commenting above, and myself that cherish the support this community offers and allows us to set and meet our own goals.

    ReplyDelete

If you have anything to add? I would love to hear from you.