Sunday, September 29, 2013

Worth it.


This past summer we (me and my Mr) went backpacking. It was a steep and rocky climb. Especially with 50 lb packs on our backs. We hiked for 4+ hours a day. Up. Up. Up. 


We drank purified lake water sweetened with crystal light. 

We took a wrong turn, which lead to a 30 min detour and us scaling down a mountain side (when our destination had been merely a stones throw away before even starting on the wrong path). 

We got scratched and bruised, I twisted my ankle. 

It rained on us. Ty ended up hip high in mud. 

We had deep and hard conversations about the future and where we want our life to go. We relied on each other and connected in a way that you don't in normal everyday life.

We saw bear prints and heard animal noises that were unfamiliar to us and a little too close for comfort.

We stepped in moose poop.

We were hot during the day and cold during the night.



It was hard.

It was challenging.

It was beautiful.

It was rewarding.

It was perfect.

It was worth it.

{At the highest point (and after the most challenging part of the hike) we found ourselves literally on top of a mountain, surrounded by fields of wild flowers. It was so amazing that it 
didn't seem like it could be real. But it was and I feel humbled and blessed for that moment in my life.}




In the recent years I have found myself in some not so great life situations. These situations, which I may share as I go along, tested my limits, my strength and my ablity. As I plowed through these hardships I noticed something amazing happening. Not only was I adapting but I was growing.

As I took time to work through my situations, I learned so much about myself. I stretched myself and then stretched myself some more and when I didn't think I could stretch any more, I did. As I stretched higher and higher I felt as though I grew out of my old self. And as I opened my eyes to look around, everything looked different.  And with that Life took on a new meaning and I had a completely new perspective.

These hard times crushed me at first but in the end they:

Strengthened me.

Made me more greatful.

More humble.

Laugh more.

Cry more.

Feel more.

Do more.

Love more.

Pray more.

Ponder more.

Enjoy more.

Notice more.

Want more.

Want less.

Compare less.

Complain less.

Judge less.




And as strange as it may sound,  these yucky and horrible life experiences have actually made me a happier and a more complete person. I look back on the "old" me and realize that I would never become who I was meant to be, and who I wanted to be for that matter, if it wasn't for those hard knocks. 

Not to say that it was an easy road. I worked (and continue to work) my ass off to grow from these challenges. Instead of letting them consume me; I took them, cried about them, prayed about them and then used them to teach me about myself and to grow. Sure there were a handful of times where I laid down on the road, curled up in the fetal position and let life move around me, begging for someone to save me. Sure there were plenty of times that I threw accusations and blame at people around me. (As if any of these things would take my problems away). But when doing that actually did the opposite and made me feel worse, I would dust myself off and start on my journey again.

I am proud to say that I am actually *ahem* thankful for these challenges. I would never want to do it again and wouldn't wish my struggles and heart ache on even my worst enemy (cliche much?). 

But what I would wish on even my worst enemy (and my best friend and a complete stranger). What I would wish for anyone going through a struggle is...

that they take would their troubles and hardships and instead of wallowing and placing blame on others that they would use their problems to help them learn about themselves and ulitimatly nourish themselves on a spritual and soul level.

It truly is amazing what we can learn from ourselves and the world around us when we quiet down, take responsibility and climb even when it's painful.

When I reach the end of any life challenge and ultimately at the end of my life I want to look back, just like I did after backpacking, and be able to say...


It was hard.

It was challenging.

It was beautiful.

It was rewarding.

It was perfect.

It was worth it.







Here are a few more pics of our fabulous weekend backpacking. I can't wait to go again next summer. :)






















No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have anything to add? I would love to hear from you.